What Cover Do I Need For A Beauty Salon?


Whether you're thinking of joining one of the current 14,000+ Beauty Therapists across the UK by opening your own salon, or if you simply want to check your existing beauty business is correctly insured, take a look at our top tips below.

As with most insurance policies, the devil is in the detail, particularly in an evolving industry where new treatments are coming online all the time. We understand how confusing arranging your business insurance can be and have a dedicated team of experts on hand who speak your language. We are able to tailor your beauty salon insurance to your exact requirements so that you only pay for the level of your you need.

Let’s take a look at some of the key areas of risk in more detail, to help you understand exactly what you need.

To speak with one of our salon insurance experts, please don't hesitate to get in touch!



Buildings / Property

If you have purchased a freehold property then you will need to insure the bricks and mortar itself via a buildings insurance policy. This can cover risks such as fire, flood, storm, theft and subsidence.

However, if you are leasing the property this then often becomes the landlords responsibility. If you choose to make any structural or physical improvements to the property such as the installation of sinks, fitted cabinets or decoration, you should look to cover this areas under the tenants’ improvements section of your Beauty Therapist Insurance policy.


General contents such as chairs, therapy beds, business and computer equipment can be covered, generally for “All Risks”.  The critical point is to ensure that sums insured are adequate, particularly as you add further new equipment as the business develops.

Most insurers will also impose a “minimum security condition” within their wording, which stipulates the required locks and security provisions required for theft cover to apply. For further help on this, we suggest you contact one of our dedicated salon insurance experts.

Public Liability

As you will have clients and members of the public visiting your premises, Public Liability Insurance is a critical area of protection, providing cover for your legal liabilities should a client or member of the public suffer injury or damage as a direct result of the actions of you, or a member of your team. For example, a client trips over a loose door mat and breaks their ankle.

TOP TIP! - One area often missed is the extension of your duty of care to areas such as car parks or toilet facilities.  If you do provide parking, make sure that regular risk assessments are made, particularly in snow or icy conditions.

Employers Liability

If you are employing staff (even part time workers or apprentices) you are legally required to purchase Employers Liability Insurance under the Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969.  Cover provides protection for your legal liabilities should an employee suffer injury or illness as a direct result of their employment with you.  

For example, your assistant is plugging in a lamp and suffers an electric shock, or falls from a step-ladder whilst putting up the Christmas decorations.

Business Interruption

Probably the furthest thing from your mind when you are just setting up your beauty salon is provision for continuation of your business should a serious loss occur. However, this is a key area of insurance which also needs ongoing review. 

Business Interruption Insurance provides cover for loss of profits and fixed costs following an insured event. For example, a fire occurs and you cannot trade. You are still responsible for expenses such as your lease as well as lost revenue whilst the business recovers.

Professional Liability / Treatment Risk

At the core of any Salon Insurance is the requirement to cover claims made against your professional liability or treatment risk.  Should a client suffer injury following a treatment you (or one of your employees) has administered, they may hold you responsible and look for compensation.  Professional Liability or treatment risk provides insurance protection against such instances.

TOP TIP! – Make a list of all of your proposed treatments and run through it with your insurer to make sure that all areas are fully covered.

Products Liability

Injury or illness caused to a client or third party as a direct result of products provided by you (for example shampoos or skin products) can be covered under products liability cover.  Typically this will automatically be provided alongside Public Liability Insurance.


Chances are you will still be accepting cash payments from clients.  Theft of money losses can be covered at your premises, whilst held at your home address, or whilst in transit to your bank.


If you are operating from a High Street address you may be responsible for a glass frontage which can be expensive to replace – for example if a brick was thrown through your window.  Many salon policies will provide glass cover as standard, but make sure the level of cover is adequate for your specifc needs.


Salonsafe specialises in cover for the hair and beauty industry.  From standalone Beauty Salons to those requiring Hairdressing Insurance, we can find the right policy for your specific needs. 

Our policies can be tailored to meet your specific needs so that you only pay for the level of cover you need.


Whilst a Beauty Insurance package policy will provide the majority of your key requirements, there are other considerations such as:

  • Legal Expenses – Cover for legal costs relating to business legal disputes
  • Personal Accident – Weekly and Capital benefit payments if you are injured and cannot work
  • Motor Cover – Car or Van Insurance for vehicles used for business purposes
  • Employment Practices Cover – Cover for employment related issues such as unfair dismissal or harassment claims

9 Albany Park, Cabot Lane, Poole Dorset BH17 7BX

e. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

t. +44(0)330 124 0730

© Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd 2016 all rights reserved. Salonsafe is a trading style of Insync Insurance Solutions Ltd which is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority where our reference number is 766691.Our registered office is Midland House, 2 Poole Road, Bournemouth, Dorset, BH2 5QY and we are registered in England under company number 08810662. Should you have cause to complain, and you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, which can be contacted as follows: The Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR | Tel: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123 | www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk